KumikoLei

KumikoLei
Lost In A Book

escaping reality one book at a time

SPOILER ALERT!

Review: This Man

This Man  - Jodi Ellen Malpas

I really really wanted to like this, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Basically, I felt like I was reading something like this:

Hot Sex. Crazy Man. Hot Sex. Abuse. Hot Sex. Unhelpful Best Friend. Hot Sex. Jealous Ex. Hot Sex. I Hate Him. Hot Sex. I Love Him. Hot Sex. You Run A Sex Club? I'm Out.

I like a cave-man, possesive alpha just as much as the next girl, but what I don't like is controlling abusive behavior. I was doing okay with this and enjoying it until Jesse decided he had to be Ava's first anal experience with NO LUBE. I really just wanted to throw in the towel at that point. I forged on, but that replayed in my mind over and over.

Then the whole cutting up the dress thing. Grrr. I was pissed for her. You don't like the dress, fine. But to actually, peel her out of it under the guise of seduction and then cut it up. Seriously, what warped world do you live in?

And the best friend Kate. Yes! Lets just push our best friend who just came out of a relationship into another relationship that includes great sex and abusive behavior.

Maybe, I could've liked this more if Ava had been stronger and stood up to him, but her attempts were lame and childish.

I also probably would've been more receptive to Jesse if he had at least tried to change and not be such an ass.

After every controlling, abusive thing Jesse did the reason Ava left was because he runs a sex club? Seriously... that would be the part keeping me around (I'm twisted like that).

I just couldn't grasp it and frankly, I was more interested in what was going on with Kate and Sam.

And I'm pretty sure by all the talk of missing birth control pills that Ava has secured her fate in this abusive relationship by getting knocked up.

Even with all of this said, I am slightly tempted to read the 2nd book in this series only because I feel unfulfilled and I want for there to be something to make this worth it. But give me a few days and I may forget all about it.

Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.